M-A's

technology blog

Monday 19 March 2007

How to make MP Navigator 3.0 work with a MP800

[Directly skip to the last update section]

This post is a note to me. Skip to conclusion if you don't have a Canon MP800 nor a Creative Live! Cam Voice.

I bought a MP800 8 months ago. One of the main reasons I bought this model was that it supported Windows x64, which at the time was pretty scarce. I have a x64 server which I connected my printer to it so I can print wirelessly with my laptop. It works very well in fact.

I bought the Live! Cam for the same reason: x64 support.

A while ago I started having problems with the included software, MP Navigator 2.0. I mainly use it for scanning photos and negative film. So I looked at the Canon's web site to see if there was an updated version of this software. I found out that there was the 3.0 for the MP810 but it was not available for the MP800.

The way to make the 3.0 version works with MP800 is to copy the mp810.ini to mp800.ini and replace the values in the [Device] section:
Replace 171A to 170D.
Replace 810 to 800.

That's it. There must really have a technical reason to not support the MP800. :)

By the way, the reason the old version stopped working was because I had enabled DEP for every program. It made Canon and Creative software go havoc. I think it is related to a crappy video filter that gets loaded but I couldn't pinpoint which one. I manually disabled DEP for each of their executable and it now works well.

Conclusion: it's a sad thing to have to disable DEP to make consumer-grade software work.

[Update 2007-07-21] It wasn't clear. The file to copy for MP Navigator 3.02 is located at C:\Program Files\Canon\MP Navigator 3.0\Device and there is 2 times 171A and 6 times 810 that needs to be changed.

[Update 2009-11-13] From Canon USA web site, you can grab MP990's version of MP Navigator EX v3.04 and MP800's version of MP Navigator v2.02. Copy C:\Program Files (x86)\Canon\MP Navigator 2.0\Device\mp800.ini to C:\Program Files (x86)\Canon\MP Navigator EX 3.0\Device\mp800.ini . Voilà!
Greetings to Canon folks for not including the file.

No comments: