M-A's

technology blog

Monday 26 March 2007

LG FM20

Here's some comments on a small and nice MP3 player: LG FM20

It got everything I want:
- Usable as a standard usb key *MUST*
- Can get back the music files from the player to the computer *MUST*
- Use standard USB cable *MUST*
- No need to install any software to make it work *MUST*
- FM tuning
- Record: voice (internal mic), line-in (thru custom wire usb -> 1/8" jack, included), FM
- Record as MP3 (96/128/192 user selectable) *MUST* (if recording is supported)
- Long lasting and light lithium battery
- Plays OGG & WAV files
- Includes strange short songs. I really needed those! :)

When you unplug the usb cable, it scan all the files and reconstruct the ID3 database. That's simple and it works great. I hate to use custom software (like iTune or Windows Media Player) to upload my songs. To make it work this way you have to set it to be in MSC mode. You you want to save some space you have to connect to a computer with Windows Media Player 10 (i.e. not W2K3) to remove the funky music included by default and format the device to reclain space. The player include some strange music like "LG Song", kind of Korean pop. I find myself singing "Saya gey yo, Saya gey yo LG!". 1:40 of pure attrocity. I'll try to better understand Asian culture someday.

The player can read the files of both MSC and MTP mode. But you can't access the files from "the other mode" on the computer. That's not a big deal.

The only issue I have is that there is a high pitched tone that is independant of the user volume. It's only audible with good earphones when the sound volume is set to less than half but for the price I'll sustain this.

Update: You can update the player firmware to v2.02 but I haven't seen any difference. I had 1.06 before.

Update 2: In fact, I have seen a difference. The code page has been reset to the default one which is Korean. Fortunately, the 1.06 firmware package on the web site contains all your favorite code page file for the device. Just put the right .TBL in the CONFIG\ folder and you're set.

1 comment:

EvilOrange said...

Hi, I have a fm20 mp3 player which freezes when it starts (it shows the LG logo). A friend formatted it and now i hope to resuscitate it by upgrading the firmware. But i can't find it, i tried the korean lg website but to no avail. I'm thinking after all these years you still have it somewhere. Thank you, i wait your response.